Saturday, November 26, 2011

C(A)PJ: Day 3

Okay, sorry this one has taken me forever to put up.  There are a couple of reasons but the biggest one is because I've been a lazy bum. D:  Anyway,  I'd like to point out that I've shortened the title into this cool new abbreviation complete with parentheses.  I'd also like to add a couple of disclaimers:  First, I know the writing in these posts is not my best.  That's because I'm pulling it straight from the journal and have actually had to resist the instinct to rephrase and/or edit things because I'm trying to remain true to the original as much as possible.  Also, some of the Spanish I've quoted myself as using is not exactly right and I just want to say that I know that now, though the Peruvians understood me just fine most of the time.  Anyway, enjoy Day 3!

Sunrise on the river

There are birds in this picture. I promise.
This morning we woke up before the sun did and got dressed in the light of cell phones because, despite yesterday’s valiant struggle, we couldn’t get the candle to stand up.  Then we hopped on a boat and rode two hours up the river to a huge and beautiful clay lick to see macaws.  It was a lot farther away than I’d expected, so I didn’t really get good pictures.  At breakfast, however, we got up close and personal with a blue and yellow macaw who’s apparently like a pet at the lodge.  She walked around our table, then climbed into my sister’s lap!

Pepa the macaw.
We went swimming at Cascadas del Gato, the Cat Cascades, which was awesome.  My brother squealed like a little girl because the water was cold.  

Twice I have had to ask the housekeeper (who doesn’t speak English) for extra toallas—towels—because we’re going through them so fast.  She’s been really sweet about it, though.  I mean, she’s been answering me with so much Spanish so fast that I’m hardly catching any of it, so I suppose she could be saying nasty things about me, but if so, she’s doing a wonderful job hiding it.

Tree (in case you couldn't tell).
The plants in the jungle are amazing.  We took a botanical tour to get to the zip line, and learned about ironwood trees, kapok trees, and trees with red ants inside them that the natives tie people to as punishment to watch them die.  The more I learn about these “indigenous peoples,” the more I really hope we don’t meet any.

It’s raining now, which means we got back just in time.  The zipline was totally awesome.  At the top of the platform (I was the last one), I asked the guy next to me, “Éste es seguro, ¿sí?”—This is safe, right? And he said, “.”  Still, I followed up with, “¿Nadie muere?”—Nobody dies?  To which he laughed and said “No. 

It was extremely cool.  We all practiced our Spanish on the way back, maybe to ignore the fact that it was getting progressively darker and there was no sign of the lodge.  We made it back alive, though.  The lights just came on, so I’m not huddled next to the candle trying to write anymore.  It’s only 5:40, but it is already almost dark.  The climate is so warm here that I keep forgetting it’s winter. 
Crazy jungle vines and such.

Before dinner we went on the boat looking for caimans.  We saw a few, but it was so dark that all we could really see were the reflections of their eyes in the light.  Mostly we just saw more capybara.  They have officially ceased to be exciting.  Oh well.  Dinner was awesome, as all the meals here have been.  We really got to know the two Canadian girls better, talking about our adventures and vacations.  We have also learned that the plural of “moose” is in fact “moose” and not “meese.”  I suggested “moosi” and they said they were going to start using that, instead.  I feel accomplished.