Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Magic Shoe Laces


As a general rule, I don't have self-esteem issues.  For instance, I think I'm a reasonably attractive person.  Still, I think my best features are definitely my shoelaces.  They're magical.  They're like the traveling pants except the only traveling they do is when they're on my feet.

The first time I experienced the magic was the day after I purchased them.  I was sitting in LaGuardia airport with my sister, waiting to catch a flight back home after an awesome weekend with our aunt and uncle in New York City.  (I'd also like to mention that I rocked some striped knee socks the day before and earned the nickname "Pippi," which I took as a compliment.  My uncle had, just a few moments before, been harassing me about my style choices when somebody walked by and said, "Hey I'm feelin' yo socks."  I won that argument.  Alas, the socks, while they are awesome, are not magical.  But I digress.)

Anyway, my sister and I are sitting in the food court in the terminal, when this British guy with longish hair and a guitar swung casually over his shoulder waltzes over to me and says, "Excuse me, could I just have a look at your laces?"  I think I said "yes," but it might have been "Yurrr."  I also managed to form enough sentences to tell him I'd gotten them at the Converse store on Broadway.

I've worn them several times since then, with no spectacular results (because I don't count getting stares as I walk by, though I do enjoy them).  I'd begun to doubt the magic of the shoelaces.  But today it happened again.  This guy wasn't British, unfortunately, but he was way cuter than the British guy and he was carrying a skateboard, which is like +3 cool points at least.  I was masterfully multitasking: eating lunch, studying calculus, and listening to my iPod all at the same time.  This guy walks straight up to me anyway and sits down at the table.  My table.

"Hello, what's your name?"

I pull my earbuds out of my head.  "Raz."

"I'm Tyler."

"Hi."

"Are you single?"

I pause to pick my jaw up off the table.  "Uh, what?  I... yes?"

"Maybe?"

"No I am.  I just... why?"

"I was just wondering if you wanted to do lunch or something...I came over here because I wanted to tell you how much I love your shoelaces.  I have a thing for cool shoelaces."

"Oh, thanks!  Actually, I'm waiting for someone.  You seem like a really nice guy, though."

It occurred to me that he might have been a total creep.  But if he liked my shoelaces enough to ask me out, how bad could he be?  At any rate, I respected his straightforwardness.  I wanted to return the compliment;  he had really gorgeous blue eyes.  But responding to "I like your shoelaces" with "I like your eyes" seemed like crossing a line.

He finished with, "Maybe I'll see you around, Raz."  Maybe you will, Tyler.  And maybe I'll be wearing magic shoelaces.

8 comments:

  1. I have a magic zipper on my jeans which opens at the most inappropriate moments, such as dinner parties and whilst making speeches. Is there anything that can remove this enchantment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... That sounds like a personal problem :) Maybe you can try wearing a magic belt or a magic jacket to combat the magic zipper. Or just wear a different pair of jeans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, this post put a huge smile on my face, Raz. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that's cute!!
    Come check me out =) alphabetalife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! That is cool. Well if you really are single, and you like him, then you should see each other again. It doesn't matter if you wear those magic laces or not. XD

    Aha. That guy is so straightforward, btw. People consider me as straightforward but I've never done that. Maybe I would if I really *really* like the girl. Maybe it's just your magic shoelaces. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Your shoelaces must be INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete